Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Over and Over


Wheel of No Fortune

I realize that we are indeed creatures of work, something like ants but with a little bit more brain and personality. We were programmed to go learn and then execute our skills in a corporation and in some industry. At the end of things, most of us will be working forever and ever and ever, until we reach the “disposable” age. So, if this is the abrasive truth, I would want/need/desire an occupation which I am passionate about and which will make me grow. Like a potted plant.

However, in review of my job history, things haven't been that peachy. There are, I can say, traces of many, many occupational hazards. Or more like a damn curse...

My first real job was with a PR agency. The funny thing about this was that I got hired into one of the best in town without even knowing what public relations meant (“It has to do with a lot of writing, right?”). Chucking away my Entrepreneurial Degree into the waste basket, I went to write press releases, direct press conferences, entertain press folks, and more press this and that. It was really fun, minus my screaming-loving boss who altered my easy-going self into a detail freak (“Why is that bullet-point smaller than the rest??”).

A great year I accomplished at that agency, but then the sky grew dark and uncertain. Yes, people, my company was bought over! In addition to that, HR told me that they cannot convert me into permanent until things were sorted out. This translated to no fat bonus end of the year which I deserved. I was like, HELL NO!!!

So, I left and hopped onto “greener” pastures.

Now I am currently working at management consulting firm, supposedly the sixth largest in the world. And again, the funny thing about this job was that according to my boss, I absolutely did not have the experience for it, and only hired me because of my personality and my great face. (Let’s chuck away that degree, won’t we?) Over here, I am engaged with several small companies to help them review their business and find multiple solutions to their corporate problems. And the fun part is that they are paying A LOT of money for my opinion. Fun…

A few months at that company, and the sky grew dark and uncertain. Yes, people, my company is being bought over!!!

So, the cycle never ends, and I am currently secretly looking for a new job. And the parameters of the search is: Ain’t being bought over anytime in my lifetime!

12 Comments:

Blogger In Technicolor said...

join a newly listed-on-mesdaq tech company. nobody wants to buy them.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Random-girl :

Gee, thanks. I am open for anything actually but within that important parameter. Yeah, sure, will buzz you soon. And hey, got a great melody for "Doves and Roses"...heheheh

Theroadie :

Thanks for the tip pal. Yeah, nobody wants buy them, but then again, perhaps I would be the jinx that might change that. hehehe...by the way, how was the test results?

2:22 AM  
Blogger Inn said...

Why not ask ur sifu about THAT job? u could be in that team. It just sounds so amazing u know.. the opportunity it presents. The growth it will require and demand
from one. Funny coz i wish petronas would actually buy over our company. but shareholders not selling. darn!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Izana said...

hey muddy, i randomly check out ur blogs, and theyre always such good reads! the job hunt sucks eh? ugh, why can't we go back to being kids? Well i'll be back in kl next week, so i'll make sure to give u a buzz so we can hook up, aiight.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Inn :

Yeah, sifu's job offer sounded so lucrative, but i am unsure whether i fit the bill. and yeah, the thing about acquisitions is that there will often be unwanted shuffling of management. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely LOVE my current job, but the thought that somethings are out my control is unnerving. So, yeah, I will remain loyal but currently am open for other "solid" opportunities, if you know what I mean... :)

Izana :

Hey babe!!! Can't believe you read my blog! Hehehe...anyway, no, I always look at job hunts as dating. Its a lot of work, but once you hit jackpot, it's hallelujah! Hehehehe...anyway, look at you. JP Morgan!!! *envy envy...hehehe*

5:38 PM  
Blogger Dade Ghost said...

Hey Muddy bro, I think u should be thinking of buying over companies... or setting on your own... at least when it is bought over.... U the one making money! Good luck....

9:00 PM  
Blogger Inn said...

And if u have some spill overs of offers, pass some to me ey. hee hee

11:29 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Kaisersoze aka Sifu :

3rd time the charm? Hahaha...i do hope so. Seriously, very very honored, overjoyed that you could consider me bro, but yeah, would like to know some more details though...

Dade Ghost :

I would LOVE to open up my own business, but at the moment, i have decided to learn the tricks of the trade and solidify my network/contacts first. If you are interested to venture in this direction also, just holler. :)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Inn :

Spillovers? Oh what happy happy joy joy if that did happen. But, no worries, since you insisted, you will be the first to share the pie. ;)

11:58 PM  
Blogger Elina said...

Buka your own firm lah..then unless you decide to sell your soul to a multi-million dollar buyout, you'll be guaranteed stable employment...relatively :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Elina :

Hey elmo, welcome back! :) and sell my soul? hahahah...never will do that. It's the only thing I have that is priceless. (Chewahhh...hehehehe).

5:14 PM  
Blogger disco-very said...

i'm going to compose a little poem for you:

Aw man, shucks
That really sucks


erm, yeah that's it. sorry to hear about it, good luck with the job-hunting!

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home