Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mystery Door # 1


Uninviting

There are a few living areas, be it bungalows, semi-d homes, or apartments in urban KL that I find breathtaking. Once I do stumble onto one, I will often pull out the "Things-to-Purchase-at-Thirty" mental list, scribble away, and tuck it away in my head. Among the properties that I aim to own is this two-storey penthouse situated in the Pantai Hillpark area, to which my friend Prof owns.

This desired property features two large balconies, to which the balcony downstairs acts as a second dining room, and the upstairs a jacuzzy area fit for twelve. Each balcony also provides an amazing view of the city's skyline, especially during New Years, where you are able to catch fireworks from KLCC, the Shah Alam area and even Genting all at the same time!

Also, the moment when you step into the Prof's home, you are invited by the scent of jasmine, which lures you into the spacious living room and dining area decorated by his Spanish interior-designer wife. There you see and feel plush white sofas, heavy teak tables and cupboards, large Javanese mirrors, jasmine-scented candles, black and white paintings, and miniature banana trees. To me, it's the closest thing to Paradise.

And for every Paradise, there should be a party right? Prof and his wife do think so. Every so often, they would invite friends over for a good hearty meal, composing of red wine, cold salads, soups, bread and olive-based pasta. And then, they would allure all of us to lounge at "The Balconies", to feel the breeze, to sip iced tea, and to realise how peaceful and colorful KL is from up there.

During the first time I was there, I asked Prof who are the neighbors.

"There are two," he said. "The immediate left is owned by a Russian. He's a great business man, an artist and have the most wonderful parties."

Woohoo, I thought. Party central!!!

"The immediate right is owned by this couple," he continued. He then leaned forward to me, made a sour face and whispered, "And we don't like them."

When the party was over, I managed to look around the halls to see the doors of the neighboring homes. The Russian have a strong steel-based door, while the disliked couple have a wooden one. Who could this disliked couple be?, I thought.

After a few months down the line, I finally knew who they were. And even met them. Yes, people, the couple turned out to be my boss!!!

My boss invited my colleagues and I to chill over his place to celebrate the win of a client one day. When he told me the address to his place, I seriously thought it was familiar. And yes, my heart and head almost exploded when I realised that I was standing at that wooden door of the "disliked couple's" home. Shit!

My colleagues and I sat around at the living room, me drinking Coke while the rest some Bacardi. In his t-shirt and shorts, my boss walked to a chair, plunked down, raised his hands and asked, "So, what do you think of my place?"

"It's beeeeauUUUttttifffful!" my colleagues serenaded.

"Who are your neighbors?" one of my colleagues asked.

"Oh, I have a Russian neighbor and he is cool. The other one is this Professor and his Spanish wife." Pause pause. "And frankly," he continued, "I don't like them."

No shit.

12 Comments:

Blogger kiddo's mom said...

hahahaha. ok that story sounds like one of those i read on readers digest. coolness!

hey mind if i link u?

12:46 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Yanz :

Yeah, sure! hehehe...link me away. :) And if for some odd (which is damn likely) reason you know or are related to my boss, don't tell them I know his neighbor ok!!! heheheh....

12:52 AM  
Blogger khaylis said...

hehe that is a really funny story mudsters.

sorry couldn't do lunch, am not in the office today...

1:44 AM  
Blogger Lala-land said...

I don't know any of my neighbours! May be I'm the one that all of my neighbours don't like.. :-(

10:20 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Khaylis :

Thanks babe. And, by the way, when you are off to Singers and Pulau, remember me when you shop. Mehehehe....

Random-girl :

Heheheh...yeah, the world is too damn small sometimes. and sorry to dissapoint: they only have one daughter and she is nine years old. hehehe...

Miss YY :

Oh don't worry. I only know my immediate neighbors. The rest are like "hi-bye" ones. Which one do you fall under? :)

8:00 PM  
Blogger MDR said...

hah! funny as always Muds! "Love thy neighbour.." guess the feeling's mutual in that hilariously ironic tale of yours.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Marinadelray:

Hehehe...yeah, i know. I told my friend Prof about it and he was like, "Aiyooooo! We have so much to tell you!!!" Hehehe...dirt comes from everywhere...:)

11:28 PM  
Blogger In Technicolor said...

Hahaha.. nice one muddy..

i wonder how much does a penthouse cost?

ok ive posted the 5 questions to u. answer it in your blog....

12:08 AM  
Blogger Inn said...

Hehe. Vy funny :D

If I have a list of Things to Purchase-by-30... then I wonder how long it'll be. 30 is so near!So far my only 'by-thirty' related list i have is, Books-to-Read before I hit-30 and I keep adding em faster than I'm reading.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Theroadie :

Hehehe...thanks bud! The described 2-storey penthouse with the killer view is currently selling at RM1.5mil. He originally bought it back in 1999 for RM1mil, with concurrent renovation costs at RM300k. By the way, the Russian is moving back to his motherland next year, and is selling his pad. Interested? :)

And dude, tough interview. Answers will be posted soon...

Inn :

Oh damn, I am guilty for not picking up a book since forever. I managed to browsed through "Demons and Angels" by the same writer of "The Da Vinci Code". It looked damn interesting, so it is currently in the "Urgent Purchase" list...hehehe...

2:37 AM  
Blogger Elina said...

haha...dig up as much dirt from both sides as you you can! :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

Kaisersoze :

Hahaha...publish my misadventures? and you pre-ordering?? Wah, compliment habis!! :P mehehehe...

And yeah, read your entry. Proud of you man!

Elina :

Yeah, collecting dirt like furniture! Perhaps I should publish it (tempting tempting) hehehehe...

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home