Sunday, April 10, 2005

Under the Spotlight


Strumming Away

It was a typical scene at Alexis that night: pretentious people everywhere, flashing crystal glasses filled in red wine, laughing like there's no tomorrow, and eyes dotting you up-and-down when you stepped into the dimly lit restaurant. As I sat onto the table Khaylis booked earlier, my eyes zero-ed in onto the the area by the bar where three microphone stands and stools stood under the yellow spotlight. Shit, I thought, that's where I am going to sing...

It's been awhile since I did this. Singing. The last time was a stone-carved moment when I auditioned and made it into the top 135 in Malaysian Idol. I remembered and laughing to myself, what have I done, when I sat among the other 135 hopefuls in a circus themed auditorium, listening to Paul Moss, Roslan Aziz and Fauziah Latiff directing us what to do for the next three days of auditions:

Day One: All of us had to sing a solo acappella styled. Trying to prove that I could sing a Malay number, I sang a classic P. Ramlee "Jeritan Batinku". Roslan loved it. I made it to top 75.

Day Two: The top 75 were segregated into groups of three. The girls had to sing Sheila's "Sinaran", while the boys had to sing a Malay number "Fida". When it was my group's time to sing, a group member of mine completely forgotten his words. Trying to be helpful, I whispered the lyrics to him, hoping that it will trigger his memory. When it was all done, Paul Moss asked why I helped him, and before I could answer, he theorecticaly asked, what if I chose him (the one who did not sing a word) over you? And that's exactly what happened...

...Three hours later, Pete Teo talked over the microphone and said, "I met up earlier with this bunch of guys and I would like to introduce them to you all. Let's give it up to Acoustiq 39!" Through the crowd of applause, I looked to Aiman and Fairil, and signaled whether we were ready or not. I guess my body took control of me, and before I knew it, I was sitting under this blazing light, looking into the darknesses where I could see many unknown faces. Watching.

As Fairil strummed the guitar, I realised that I was singing again. And it felt great. Like Hell Yeah! great.

8 Comments:

Blogger mangolisa said...

you definitely don't sound like the Idol type. But then again the guy who won Dutch Idol last year can really sing and is a lekker kontje!
wow alexis have live singing now? I haven't been to alexis for ages!!!
being passionate about something and swept off your feet for it is amazing!
go muddy go!!!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Inn said...

hey, do tell us in advance. Some of us would like to be witness too in the next one ;)

5:18 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

aeyya :

Guess what? We did sing "Walaupun Jauh" that night! The reaction to that song was great. For this reason, I am so considering you as our permanent Malay lyricist! :)

mangolisa :

hahaha...yeah, i don't consider myself as an idol as well. i guess that really shone through during the auditions, thus i got cut soon after. but i did have fun though...free food, free lodging and hanging out with fellow singers. it was the life!

ps: the next msian idol auditions is on may 6 - 7. hmmmm....

12:34 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

random-girl :

that song you sang that night was brilliant! and you wrote it the night before??? (such a show-off...hehehe). Thanks babe about informing us about it. And yeah, will do next time!!!

inn :

hey inn, thanks for dropping by! :) hahaha...are you really sure you want to see me sing? lol. yeah sure, will inform you next time. i will keep you updated...

12:39 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

aeyya :

hehehe...hey, good luck babe!

7:07 PM  
Blogger shobshob said...

i was so excited to watch the performance! and it was really great and fun to watch u guys performed.. i think u should reaudition for malaysian idol this time around.. the talent is already there, and hopefully good luck will follow.. :)

1:47 AM  
Blogger disco-very said...

goddamn... you didn't tell me you do gigs! let along alexis, which i've still yet to check out. you cool, me loser. let me know when the next round is!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

shob shob :

thanks for bringing along your crew! and about the msian idol...i will update you on the saga...lol!

discovery :

sorry if i did not inform you earlier. it was very ad hoc (more like, only invited those whom I know could tolerate wee hours and my singing...hehehe). Will inform you the next one!

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home