Friday, August 18, 2006

Who's Laughing? - Part 3


Multipurpose

It was one of those KL nights when the night sky seemed to have drunk too much and decided to spew furiously on the heated streets and buildings. And as usual, when it rained for hours at night, I always would get incredibly hungry and would crave for soupy meals. I feel like mee bandung, I told Evo over the phone. “Oh me too,” she said, with all puns intended. I then picked her up and drove off to this Malay restaurant nearby her place.

As usual, the place was packed with students and families with loud, pesky kids. We managed to find a table at the far back near the kitchen. Actually, we had to share a table with this family who said it was okay to do so. I then waved my hand at the waiter, ordered two mee bandung and two limau ais, and we waited.

I hope they prepare it fast, I said.

“I know,” Evo said, “I am butt hungry.”

I chuckled. I always do whenever Evo would use butt in front of anything – sleepy, bored, thirsty – to strongly emphasize an emotion. “I borrowed it off butt-ugly,” she explained. “There’s so much punch in butt.”

In five minutes tops, our steaming hot meals came, and the sweet smell of lime and tomatoes floating off the large bowl of mee bandung drove me insane. I wasted no time, and scooped the soft strands of mee and sour-sweet gravy into my mouth. Oh! Sedap gila!

“You know, I had always wanted to know how to cook this,” Evo said, in between slurps.

I think my mom has a recipe and we can –

Splutt!

Apparently, something fell from the ceiling into my bowl of mee bandung, and when I looked closer, it turned out to be a cicak!

OHMYGOD!!!

When I jumped back into my seat, I accidentally tipped the bowl of mee bandung over, spilling its contents across the table, and having the cicak swimming in the current. Within seconds, the cicak fell into this little girls lap who sat beside me, and she fell backwards, and then jumped up and down while screaming, MAK!!!!!!!!

The mother, like lightening, brushed off the cicak that clung onto the little girl’s baju kurung, grabbed hold of her daughter and yelled, “Diam! Diam! Dah! Cicak tak ada!”

Evo and I just stood there, feeling very serba salah, especially when people around us seemed to blame us for the girls hysterical crying through their piercing stares. “Kenapa tadi???” the owner of the restaurant shouted. “Ada cicak,” Evo said, “Dalam mee bandung!”

“Ada cicak???”

To this day, people have rumored that the reason why the mee bandung at that restaurant is so good was because they cook it with cicak. The funny thing though, despite the rumor, people still do flock to the place for the food and the mee bandung, including myself. But, every time when I do go to the place, the owner of the restaurant would always tease me and say, “Hah! Nak makan mee cicak ke?”

And I always said yes.

24 Comments:

Blogger RosiePosie said...

"Ewwwwwwww..."

P/S: The poor cicak :p

1:31 AM  
Blogger pugly said...

Hahahahahah!!!

I don't know who was more traumatised - the little girl or the cicak! :-D

Rainy days have one of these 2 effects on me: it either makes me very sleepy, or very horny. Either one spells trouble if I happen to be stuck at work!

2:26 AM  
Blogger waffles said...

i wish i was there to capture the kodak moment. dang! priceless dude. I would've scream from the top of my lungs if that happened to me. anything but cicak.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really yuckyfying... ewww ewwww ewwwwwwww yes know abt New Recruit (No names Im suppose to be Anon) he did ask me if I knew anyone but I didnt say typical dont keep in touch when want info then the odd hello .... I have emailed you sneak preview of Plitvice Lakes.. maybe when you see the pics you will change your perception on Paradise ! I keep thinking of the Cicaks tail- you know when it detaches n just wiggles on the floor !!!! YUCK

3:34 AM  
Blogger shobshob said...

i don't like any animals, ESPECIALLY cicak & katak. I guess the experiences when i was young really traumatised me till now.. huhu.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Feather's Mother said...

Exactly which mee bandung place is this?

P.S. You still owe me the rest of your Bali updates! I've got only two weeks left! Hmmm, maybe can squeeze another karaoke or even mee cicak session before I go? He hee..

6:15 PM  
Blogger Vlad said...

Hmm Gecko mee is making me hungry.

Do they come crispy or boiled?

I know. Silly question.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAY!! Hahahahaha! Finally, the story of mee bandung has been completed!!! Okay, you dun owe me anything else now, but you do owe Mr Yoga Instructor his Bali updates! :p as for me, i am happy! :)

but where is this mee bandung yang sedap sangat tu? i know, you can judge good food very well, so tell me!

9:41 PM  
Blogger keesha said...

ewww... yucks!! ive had hair in maggi goreng-S and nasi goreng-S before but yours definitely tops it all...

9:47 PM  
Blogger Crash Test Mom said...

urrggghhh! i was about to ask you where this wonderful mee bandung place is, but ... nevermind.

1:18 AM  
Blogger MDR said...

*LOL*...now that was hilarious! cicaks always gross me out, though so i can imagine the terror of that girl...i wonder if the cicaks precisely time themselves to always fall down from the ceiling when ppl are in the midst of enjoying their mee bandung? :-D

4:32 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

rosieposie :

hahah ewwww indeed. ;P

ps: i don't think the cicak was hurt in the event. because i swear i heard it "laughing" when it climbed back onto the walls...hehe.

pugly :

sleepy at work = tak a short nap. horny at work = whoa! I wanna go home!!! hahaha. ;)

princess :

hahahha no way babe, don't want that plastered all over the internet nanti. hancur my saham. kekeke. ;)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

anon :

babe, i seriously think you should start blogging. there is so much happening in your life right now, i need to know!!! kekeke...by the way, merdeka is coming up. how you celebrating over there?

kudo :

katak swimming in a kettle??? oh, that's just sick bro!!! the worst though is, i hope there ain't no tad poles in the water too. ewww!!! kekeke.

shobshob :

kekeke. yeah, i have seen you jumped many, many times whenever you see a cicak. haiyoh, macho lah sikit org trganu! kekeke.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

the yoga instructor :

evo told me that if i tell where exactly the mee bandung place is, everyone will know exactly where she lives. she's paranoid that someone will stalk her via my blog, which i think is very likely. hahahha!

ps: *it's in shah alam...* and yeah, let's try to meet up. and yeah, the bali post is on da way...;)

vlad :

hahah it just comes across slimy and alive. kekeke. cheers dude.

tgb :

hahaha so you want to eat mee cicak as well? well, tell you where it is whenever we meet up. and not to say its the best. but it does taste good, especially whenever it rains. cheers.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

kristakish :

hahaha. hair in my mee goreng is such a usual sight that i no longer cringe whenever it happens. perhaps it IS the secret ingredient. hahaha. ;)

shoppermom :

hahahah, its still sedap and cicak-free, trust me. kekeke i hope pakcik doesn't lose customers because this blog entry. ;P (ps: everytime i go to the curve, my eyes are always on the look out for shoppermom...kekeke)

marinadelray :

hahaha to think about it, perhaps the cicak do have a time mechanism. like, fall down when you see muddy eating mee bandung, now now now!!! hahahha...hilarious. ;P ps. good to hear from you!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Fiza said...

hah! i once took a sip out of a cup of coffee which i left overnight... got a real shock when the cicak which was swimming in it tried to escape out. Yummy!

9:56 PM  
Blogger ZEYN, THE PERPETUAL STRANGER said...

maybe the owner of the kedai should rename it mee bandung cicak! effortlessly hilarious! i was on a laughing riot when i read your entry.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Freak and Geek said...

mee cicak??

thanks but but no thanks.

i'll pass. seriously...

pssttt.. where in s.a to be exact? :-P

2:44 AM  
Blogger Syaf said...

EEEuuuuuwwwww.....

Did you hear the KFC story? Hmm, I guess I better not tell and I guess it's not true anyway. Just a rumour!!!

I love reading your blog. Always make me laugh! Hahaha...

7:43 AM  
Blogger Blabarella said...

OMG! Omg, omg, omg!!! Cicak in mee??? Eeeeeeks!!! Groooosssssss!!!! But teruk lah you - now you made me teringin makan mee bandung. *sniff* And dont ask me to cook it - i dont like to cook. :( But where's this cicak mee shop then?? I wanna go there bila balik!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

9 :

oh that is just sick!!! what was the cicak doing? taking a swim??? kekeke.

shah halil :

hahaha yeah, but that marketing positioning will surely backfire. sounds damn gross. kekeke. thanks for dropping by.

freak and geek :

hahaha somewhere somewhere in s.a. (although its really not too hard to find.) ;)

9:51 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

syafiqe :

hahah i have heard. yummy rats, i say. :D

blabs :

alamak sorry lah babe, tapi yeah, mee bandung is really yummy to eat, esp when it is raining. how about this, when you come back, holler so i can bring you there. cool? :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger kimster said...

CICAK - what's the protein content like ha???
Maybe should ask the KRU brothers who came up with (of all things) The Cicak Man *SIGH*

8:42 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

kimster :

you GOT to be kidding me. Cicak man??? what powers does he have??? able to climb without a...tail??? sheesh.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home