Monday, March 13, 2006

Mess With The Bull and You Get The Horns


Padan muka

One of the things that I really like about Greener Pastures is that they gladly enroll you to trainings to which, I feel, helps you become a better employee and person as a whole. So if we were like sparse screws and bolts and plywood, Greener Pastures will put you through a machine and turn you into a cabin. Or a car. A wooden car that is.

Anyways, last week I found myself in this very inspiring Leadership course with several of my colleagues. And one of the things that we had to do was role play. The premise was to determine how well you (the boss) can handle your employees. So, infront of the class, I found myself igniting some Oscar genes in me to become a boss for the day.

Come in, I said. My colleague came into the classroom. How are you today?

"Whatever."

(Whatever?) I want to discuss on your performance. It has improved tremendously. In fact, your sales has increased 20% last month.

"Whatever."

(What???) Lately, you have been receiving 15 to 20 personal calls per day. I feel this is unprofessional.

"So?"

(What the???) I need you to reduce your personal calls. Especially during office hours and via the office phone.

"I don't care. It's none of your business."

At that point, my stress levels went on volcano mode. It totally erupted and I don't know why. But the fact that in several minutes, I was facing a totally rubbish employee who gave me attitude with a capital A, and what the hell? Did he want to get fired???

And that was exactly what I did. You're fired!!! Perhaps I watched too many episodes of The Apprentice, but at that point, it felt good to do that. But I realised I did not solve anything, and said, I take that back. I reacted with my emotions and I should not have. I sense a lot of hostility from your end, why is that so?

To which my colleague responded, "I don't have hostility. You're the one with the problem."

To which I said, Please leave my room. And when he did, I felt like throwing a letter knife into his back. Over and over again.

When the acting hoopla was done, I sat back at my desk and pondered how the hell can I handle difficult people just like that without going amok. How ah?

21 Comments:

Blogger kiddo's mom said...

if it's any consolation, i would have done the same thing. or maybe, i would have fired him twice over, fire his parents, grandparents, and even his neighbours living within 1 mile radius of his house. and i wouldnt throw knives to his back. i would jump on him, strangle him,break his neck, all the other bones in his body, and call the janitor to pick up his bones in my laptop bag.

hahaha talk about anger management

6:42 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

I went to the same course I think. My role play was to get my neighbor to remove a statue of a dancing elephant from his garden, which is annoying everyone in the neighborhood! Haha.... it turned out to be quite funny.

7:04 PM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

i'd issue him with a counselling form.

he probably is facing some issues that he doesnt know how to overcome and having issues dealing with. and is concealing it by being bitter and defensive[?].

but yeah, "you're fired!" sounds good :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger RosiePosie said...

I would have gone with the letter knife, dearie. And maybe a couple of paperweights and staplers thrown in for good measure. What a rude twerp!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Desparil said...

put a sign on the wall behind you which says..

i have a gun and i know how to use it

11:53 PM  
Blogger mangolisa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:48 AM  
Blogger About Blogreader said...

I would never have imagined that role-playing actually works. How crazy is that.

4:17 AM  
Blogger shobshob said...

i got into a challenging situation with my subordinate a few weeks back.

we were discussing about one problem with a third party. before tackling the problem, i asked for his feedback on the background/history of the problem, and what is the current situation. after getting the background, i clarified with him the things that he told me, to make sure i really understand it. he disagreed with what i said, and correct me by telling a different story. i was puzzled...

i clarified with him again, then dia cerita benda lain! makin puzzled...

it went on for about 10 minutes, and ended when i raised my voice and said "Yang ko cerita kat aku pasal benda tu apasal??! Aku tak tanya and taknak tau pun benda tu!!", all without even looking at him!

so i guess i'm bad at handling difficult persons kot.. huhu..

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

take them for a teh tarik ! and sit back relax and let the good times roll

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your role play can actually substitute for any of those "less exciting" Apprentice's eps. very the drama gitu! and i had a good laugh ;)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Fiza said...

at least he didn't do a 'do re mi' on you, "besar rumah ni... mau jual?"

:p

9:29 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

yanz :

hahahah garangnya! and will definitely keep your suggestion as plan b. ;P

lin :

hehehe...a dancing elephant? the instructor sure have a huge imagination. very mcbeal. kekeke...

ylanda :

it not only sounds good, it feels good too! :) but all for the wrong reasons that is. kekeke...

4:13 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

rosieposie :

hahaha...i guess stationary should be regarded as potential weapons then. ;P on guard! (with my fancy calculator...kekeke)

desparil :

printing out that sign now! kekeke...

blogreader :

you got a point there! when i first went into the roleplay, i thought it would just be acting and nothing too serious. but once the scenario roled in, it actually got serious (i sure felt my blood pressure go upstairs!) strange, but it works. kekeke...

4:16 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

shobshob :

well, what you faced was a real situation, so i can only imagine after a role play how difficult it must be in real life! well, obviously your suborb does not know how to listen. i think when you don't, all communication breaks down.

anon :

that's a good idea. feeding them high sugar juice and watching their colestoral/potential diabetes rise is a sure, slow form of revenge. hahaha...just kidding! ;P

teek :

hahahha...drama giler! ;P but it ain't oscar winning stuff. i think its more RTM 1 type of drama. kekeke...

4:20 PM  
Blogger Muddy said...

9 :

hahhahaha! that's a classic comedy that i enjoy. a bit off topic, but now wanting to go watch. :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Pesa said...

Had some subodinates with attitude problem too, but so far it's not that bad...the counseling session is always uncomfortable but that's the 1st thing that every head dept/ boss should do. However, you have to deal with them accordingly and sometimes a good instinct will help in solving the prob...

7:36 PM  
Blogger Cosmic_GurL said...

U tak rasa mcm nak bg dia pelempang ke? GRRR!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Vlad said...

Or you can be very evil by offering him a drink with eye drops in it.

And lock up all the toilets.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Vlad said...

Or you can be very evil by offering him a drink with eye drops in it.

And lock up all the toilets.

Better yet, wait till he makes a drink . Put in the eyedrops when he is not aware.

11:01 PM  
Blogger mangolisa said...

I like vlad's train of thoughts mwahahahahahahaha!!!

you can also sprinkle maggi belachan granules at his cubicle... then the whole office will know he STINKS!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Muddy said...

pesa :

hahahah that being said, thank god i ain't a counsellor! i really have to give props to shrinks for listening to other people's problems. for me, that's a sure path down cuckoo lane! hehehe...

cosmic gurl :

memang babe! really did feel like it, and the sad part is, it was all acting! huhuhu...

vlad :

hahahhaha!!! dude! never knew that eye drops is the secret ingredient to poo poo land! for some odd reason, i wanna go try it out! hahahha!!!

mangolisa :

ooooo you're suggestion is so damn tempting babe! kekeke ;P (...and chuckles into the dark...)

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home